Saturday, October 1, 2011

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

I'm a survivor. I'm not ashamed. I was not in the wrong. I was a victim. Today, I'm a survivor. I want to make people aware of this horrible topic. I want to help anyone that I can. And I want to share my story. In hopes, that it can touch, just one life. Can change one person. That I can help save one family.


All month, I'll be wearing purple on Saturdays. I'll dress my 4 kids in purple. And ask anyone who wants to participate, to please support the cause. On Saturdays, I'll be sharing a post about domestic violence. And I hope, by the end of the month, that I'll have enough strength, to share my story.

Like I said, I'm a survivor. I'm very lucky. I have 2 amazing friends, that I was able to finally call for help. Cowboy J and Lola. Without them, I don't think I would have gotten out. They were my total support system. 2 people that I trusted, and loved.

My relationship didn't start like this. No. We were happy, in love, and college sweethearts. Newly married. But soon after I got pregnant, with my first son, things changed. And for over 3 years, I lived in hell. My only hope, were my children. Ultimately, it was my kids, that gave me the strength to leave. I just couldn't let them grow up, thinking this was OK. Most importantly, I couldn't let them get hurt.

This is a tough subject. It's hard to open up. It's tough to let people in. You feel ashamed. Almost like it's your fault. And after all of this, I've learned so much. Like how, I was not alone. There are so many people that are dealing with this. In silence. In fear. Let's work together, to end this horrible violence.

No comments: